Feasibility Study for the Project “Modernization of Power Distribution – Smart Grids Phase I”
Description of Project:
The Department of Explosive (DoEx), operating under the Ministry of Power, Energy and Mineral Resources, is the responsible public authority of the Government of Bangladesh dealing with issues related to commercial explosives, flammables and unfired pressure vessels. This Department of Explosive was constituted under the Explosive Act 1884. The Department of Explosive with the HQ in Dhaka operates with it five branch offices at Chittagong, Khulna, Rajshahi, Sylhet and Barisal. Testing and laboratory facilities for explosives and other materials are provided from the laboratory, situated along with the HQ in Dhaka. An Inspector of Explosive heads the branch offices. Overarching objective of the DoEx is to prevent injury to persons and damage to property or to the environment during manufacture, transport/ transmission, storage, use, handling etc. of commercial explosives, compressed gases, flammable liquids including petroleum, combustible solids and oxidizing substances and thus ensuring safety of public life and property.
Description of actual services will be provided by your staff within the assignment:
- To conduct overall institutional assessment of DoEx: A through assessment of DoEx will be conducted for gaining necessary insights of the works, functions, current operations, business model, economic performance, legal foundation and other relevant information about DoEx. This activities will help the consultants to get a broad picture about the mission, vision and goals of DoEx and this assignment fit into those.
- To conduct organization wide diagnosis of human resources: This step this will further narrow down to human resources component only. Human resources in DoEx will be identified and analyzed from different perspectives. Human resources available in different departments and project will be identified. This findings will be used for comparison of DOEX with other regional and international commercial explosive related organizations.
- To identify and analyze international best practices for capacity enhancement: Here the task will be to identify some of the best practices of operation and capacity development those are followed by globally reputed petroleum organizations. Expertise of the international experts, who has proven track record of working in similar transformations, will be used for that purpose.
- Identify gaps of current practices with those of the international standards and check their compatibility with DoEx: Leveraging the result of the previous three steps, we will start to identify the gaps existed between the current operation of DoEx and international and regional accepted standards.
- Recommend measures for structured capacity development of DoEx: This will be advisory support to the client regarding structured capacity development of DoEx including regular assessment, training need identification in structured way and arranging training and other capacity development support.
- Preparation of Organizational set-up up to sectional level along with detailed job description of the personnel: here after completing the assessment of the current organogram, necessary changes (if required) will need to be proposed with the job description of the personnel.
- Standardization of the DoEx Laboratory: A well-functioning laboratory is an integral part of any Explosive Organization. We understand that, the laboratory that is now used by DoEx, does not meet satisfactory level of standard. We will review the overall condition of the DoEx and provide our necessary recommendations for standardization of the DoEx.
- Preparation DPP for the new proposed office building of DoEx: We understand that, the DoEx has received a parcel of land from the Government of Bangladesh for erecting a new office building. We will assist the DoEx for preparing the Development Project Proforma (DPP) for the new building.
Energy and Power
Department of Explosives; Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources; Government of Bangladesh